Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Get Thee to a Nunnery!

I seem to find friends in the right places- especially when you look to religious life for companionship. I befriended a nun here who speaks the language I'm learning so I could have a chance to practice the language a bit more. I also found out my placement is in Western Uganda, and my nun friend gave me the contact information of yet more nuns in the west. The nuns run the Health center across from the Catholic Church, so I also finagled my way into giving a nutrition presentation to the maternity ward. Some of the other volunteers and I worked on some posters to use, and with the help of a translator, I was able to convey a balanced diet for pregnant and lactating mothers, perhaps it's the beginning of WIC- Uganda. . ..
I was also able to visit Fr. Mike in Kampala- a dear friend from home who teaches at the seminary here in Kampala. It was so great to see him, like a hug from home, AND he gave us Snickers! American candy is like gold here among the trainees, we barter for it, it even brings tears to the eyes of some of the less fortunate giardia stricken trainees.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Diana- your recounts are absolutely hilarious.... so glad you are safe and doing well!! It sounds like it's been a great experience- good to be able to follow along. :) Miss you!!!

K lin to the den said...

Have you gotten my letter? You're going to get a sweet surprise!!!!

Di said...

KATE!!! YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY TO RECEIVE NUTELLA IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT.

Unknown said...

Diana...since reading your insightful stories, Mom and I have a WHOLE new appreciation for those simple pleasures we take for granted!! We don't know where you got this awesome drive and courage but we love you and pray for you! Can't wait to hear from you this weekend...love Dad

Unknown said...

Hi Diana,
Liz and I went to dinner and a movie with your parents this weekend and Bill gave me your blog link. I have passed it on to PD Kealy and Grace so they can keep up with your latest story from Uganda. I have read your input and you have a great sense of humor, just like... the apple does'nt fall too far from the tree. Great stories!! I'm sure there's more to come.
We wish you much success and will follow your postings to your site. Your such a prolific writer that you may want to consider publishing your adventures and travels when you return to the US.
Wish you all the best.
Love Pat & Liz.

K lin to the den said...

DELICIOUS! I'm so happy that it arrived to you! I only wish I could send more. Any news on a new address??? Miss you my friend.

Unknown said...

Hi Diana,
So glad to finally know how to contact you! We miss you terribly at the clinic and all the patients ask how your are doing so now I can finally share your stories with them. You sound so happy in your blogs and learning a lot about the culture. I'll keep checking your blog and look forward to more stories.
xoxo
Kate (SFFC)