Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dashing Through the Dust....

Twas the day before Christmas, and all through Uganda,
All the vehicles were roaring, from toyotas to hondas.
The matatus were crammed into the taxi park without care,
In hopes that passengers would pay the double fare.
The conductors each shouted their black faces red
While visions of Ugandan shillings danced in their heads.
And I in my backpack weighing me down,
Had just settled in the sweatbox, for a trip out of town.
When in my matatu, there arose such a clatter,
I paused my ipod to see what was the matter-
Which i had tucked in my purse-away and stashed,
Didn't want to pause, twas a good song by the Clash.
When what to my sun glass clad eyes should appear,
But a miniature child, selling water, soda and beer!
I knew in that moment, I'd better be quick-
A beer to get me through the ride, this can't be a trick!
The muslim and saved passengers tsked as I bought me a bottle
Of the piss warm Nile, and opened my throttle.
"Oh Allah, oh Jesus, oh Yaweh" I heard the denounces.
But to me this was bottled blood of Christ- all 16 ounces.
My eyes, then they twinkled, my cheeks were like cherries.
My demeanor once bitter was now oh so merry.
A slight buzz achieved, I threw the glass to the side
Ready to set off on this long rickety ride.
The conductor then boarded- a right angry elf.
I laughed at his price, then hiccuped to myself.
"You think I'll pay triple for this ride in a tin can??
Passengers-UNITE! Lets stand up to this man!"
The passengers all stared at the crazy muzungu
I could see the comprehension cross their faces too.
"This girl is right, it's just too much!"
The backseat of the taxi created a fuss.
Soon the righteousness spread, the conductor declared a jerk!
I couldn't believe it- the liquid courage had worked!
We paid double, not triple, and our matatu took flight.
Our united minibus, swerving left and right.
We reached our destination and paid our "discount" fare.
But no thanks did I get-just lots of blank stares.
But I swung my pack on, and staggerd back to site.
Thinking, it's Christmas in Uganda, again. It's gonna be alright.

5 comments:

The Q'ser said...

This one's for certain: "Only Di..."

Love you & merry Christmas!!!

Unknown said...

Away in Uganda, no smooth roads for a ride,
Our daughter Diana, takes these things in stride,
The stars in Uganda, are the same that we see,
Our daughter Diana, in our prayers this Christmas eve..
Love and Merry Christmas!

jo portnoy said...

it runs in the family!!! Love you Diana, Merry Holidays. Happy Christmas!

AnnieB said...

Di, yours made me laugh.
Mr. Kingston, yours made me cry.

Happy New Year - I'll be seeing you soon!

Wesley Carter said...

I finally finished it! It was good, but a little tedious :) Now I'm going to get back to stalking your friends on Facebook. Cool? Miss you, talk to you soon!